Just kidding. I couldn’t really make you wait a week. That would just be mean. Originally written Sunday, April 24th, 2011.
It’s been a week. We’ve talked to more families and read more books and more articles. Tomorrow we are going to tell Ashley that we do want to move forward and receive more information on these kids. We know it won’t be easy. Most of the families we talked to (there are some really super cool awesome families in the adoptive community) had great adjustments, but not all of them. With older kids, you have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
This doesn’t mean we’re adopting them- just that we’re ready to go to the next step. The next step is to receive their information and have it reviewed by medical professionals, the school, etc. After doing that, if we still feel the same way we feel now, we will tell the agency we want to adopt them and they will send us the official referral packet. We would have to sign and return the referral packet (along with a check bigger than the check we used to pay for our last car) and then we can say we are officially adopting these kiddos. At this point, I can’t imagine anything that could be included in the “more information” that could change our minds. Because with each day that we waited, we both became more and more sure that these kids are meant to be ours.