My first born is four years old today!
Wiggles, you were an answer to prayer. You made us parents. Today you are crazy and rowdy and ornery as all get out, but you’re also sweet and smart and snuggly. Here are some things I want to remember about right now:
- You go to sleep every night in your bed. But by the time I go to bed, I usually find you on the floor…and by the time I wake up, you’ve made your way into our bed. You just crawl right on in, usually without us noticing. You tell us you’re going to stop doing that once you turn 4, but you also told us you were going to start using the potty when you turned 3 and we all know how that went.
- You LOVE having older siblings. You constantly play with and pick on them. You and Smiles are always chasing each and wrestling, while you and Diva like to play Jake the Pirates and do art. The other day someone said “No one is perfect” and you countered with “Diva is perfect at art.”
- You like to play mermaids in the bath with Diva. And she likes to dress you up like a girl. I love that you have sisters.
- You are fearless when it comes to physical activity, and will ride your balance bike downhill at approximately 70 mph.
- You are not so fearless when it comes to the dark or someone using a “spooky voice.”
- You are a perfectionist. You get really angry when things don’t go your way and you make sure everyone knows it. Usually you rattle off your favorite insults and call whoever crosses your path during this time “Idiot stupid meanie.”
- You’re also really into rules and order. You constantly have a plan for how many turns people should have, what should happen next, and how things should be done. You make sure everyone knows each step of your plan before you start the activity.
- You LOVE to read and amaze us with how well you can do it. I think you’ve really benefited from all the work we’ve put in with Smiles and Diva. You memorized dozens of sight words right along with them and are now getting pretty good at sounding out words- and you make Diva mad when you help her with a word in a book she’s reading.
- Sometimes you can be super sweet, like when you stop what you’re doing just to tell me that you love me or when you rub my back or when you share with your siblings. But sometimes you can be a straight up jerk, like when you randomly hit people or tell them you don’t like them.
- I have a secret that I’m a little afraid to share online. In the morning when you don’t want to get up, I tell you that I hope you don’t go potty because I don’t want your wiener germs. This makes you instantly bounce out of bed, use the potty, then chase me down to give me wiener germs. You tell me you’ll stop this when you’re 13 (you’re into rules and order and plans, remember?) but I sincerely hope this stops long before then. I hope what started off as a funny way to get you around in the morning doesn’t scar you for life.
I gave you a survey on your 4th birthday. Here’s how you answered:
What’s your favorite color?
Blue. It used to be all the colors but blue is my very favorite now.
What do you like to do?
Play with blocks and train tracks and everything outside.
What’s your favorite song?
What are you most proud of?
You because I just like you.
What’s your favorite food?
What’s your least favorite food?
What do you want to be when you grow up?
An art teacher.
What do you want to do when you’re four?
Play and eat ice cream and cake and cinnamon rolls and sleep all day.
Who is your hero?
What’s your favorite game?
Who are your best friends?
Everyone at school except for (3 “mean” kids who shall not be named publicly) and my family and everyone who is nice except for bad guys and strangers.
What’s your favorite thing to do at school?
Play and math.
If you could do anything you wanted, what would you do all day?
Play outside and ride my bike.
Happy birthday to the little man who showed us a new type of love. You are so special to us!